Are sno-parks free?

You have already answered this question, click here to scroll to your answer.
You can only answer the question once, but you can edit your answer as many times as you want.

Also post to my Facebook wall and Twitter.
Your answer will be visible to public. By posting your answer here signifies your agreement to our privacy policy and terms of services.

Following people are writing the answer now:

4 answers

  • 3 Votes

    + -
    Zi Wei answered
     • Send thanks  • Flag as inappropriate

    They are not free, you have to buy a sno-park permit to be there.

    You can find more information here:

    To park in a non-motorized sports Sno-Park, it is necessary to purchase one (and sometimes two) types of parking permits for your vehicle: a one-day permit, a seasonal permit, and/or a special groomed trails permit. A Washington State licensed vehicle must have a Washington State Sno-Park permit.

    Washington Sno-Park permits are accepted in Oregon and Idaho. To find out about Oregon Snow Park sites, contact the Oregon Department of Transportation at (503) 986-3006. For information on Idaho Park-n-Ski lots, call Idaho Parks and Recreation at (208) 334-4199.

    * One-Day Permits
    One-day permits are honored until midnight of the date on the permit at all Sno-Parks including the designated Special Groomed Trails permit areas.

    * Seasonal Permits
    A seasonal permit is non-transferable between vehicles. Some Sno-Parks require only a seasonal permit for season parking. Others require both the seasonal permit and the special groomed trails permit (sticker) in order to use the designated Sno-Park.

    * Special Groomed Trails Permits
    This permit, in conjunction with the seasonal permit, is required at eight sno-parks: Cabin Creek, Chiwawa, Crystal Springs, Hyak, Lake Easton, Lake Wenatchee, Mount Spokane and Nason Ridge. Snowmobile seasonal permit holders must purchase this sticker when using these Sno-Parks for non-motorized activities. Funds from its sale pay for more frequent trail grooming at these Sno-Parks and the maintenance and replacement of snow grooming equipment owned by Washington State Parks.

    NOTE: All permits must be affixed to the lower left corner of the windshield (driver's side) when the vehicle is parked in a designated Sno-Park area. If a valid permit is not properly displayed, you will be subject to a fine. Permits are required when designated Sno-Park signs are posted. These signs are raised and removed at different times at the start and finish of the winter season. Please obey posted signs to avoid a citation.

    Proceeds from permit sales are used exclusively to maintain and improve non-motorized Sno-Park facilities. They pay for snow removal, sanitation facilities, trail grooming, trail signs, mapping, parking lot construction, education, enforcement and Sno-Park program administration.

    Permit Purchasing

    Sno-Park permits are available beginning Nov. 1 through April 30 either online or by purchasing from a retail location.

    * You also may complete an Application for a Sno-Park Permit, print it out and send it along with payment to the Washington State Parks, Winter Recreation Program.
    * Sno-Park permits are available at several retail locations, State Parks region offices, Lake Easton, Lake Wenatchee, Mount Spokane and Fields Spring state parks, the Winter Recreation Program (1111 Israel Road S.W., Olympia, WA 98504) or area USFS offices.
    * Online: Sno-Park permits
    (Available online now)

    A one dollar handling fee may be charged when Sno-Park permits are purchased from retail locations.
    Permits are non-refundable. The fees for Sno-Park permits are:
    Permit Type Purchased from State Parks Purchased from retail vendor Purchased online
    One-day $20 $21 $20
    Seasonal $40 $41 $40
    Special Groomed Trails $40 $41 $40

    For information on how to become a permit vendor, contact the Winter Recreation Program at (360) 902-8684, or e-mail

      1 comment

    • 1 Vote

      + -
      Song Li answered
       • Send thanks  • Flag as inappropriate

      There are snowmobile parks and non-mobile parks, both require permits.

        1 comment

      • 0 Votes

        + -
        Maverick answered
         • Send thanks  • Flag as inappropriate

        Most Snow-Park use is FREE in summer. :)

        However during winter you do require Snow-Park permits.


        Share Question or Ask for Help
        Also share on my Facebook wall and Twitter   Cancel

        Add a map to your answer

        Drag the marker or type in an address here:
        Seattle, WA, USA
        Nearby questions:
        6 people involved:
        The question was asked 6 years, 3 months ago. It has 4 answers.

        LOCQL™; Location Based Questions & Answers